- The IMLC is an agreement between 29 states, the District of Columbia and the Territory of Guam, where physicians are licensed by 43 different Medical and Osteopathic Boards.
- Under this agreement licensed physicians can qualify to practice medicine across state lines within the Compact if they meet the agreed upon eligibility requirements.
What is the Interstate Medical Licensure Compact (IMLC)?
Benefits for Locums Physicians
- More licenses = more opportunities to be the first physician presented to a facility for the most compelling and highest-paying jobs
- Faster licensing compared licensing through a State directly
- 2-4 weeks to receive your IMLC, and State licenses issued within a few days to a week
- Ability to add additional State licenses in the future, typically turned around within a week
- Everything is standardized-there is no need to worry about license requirements varying between states or additional background checks and costs beyond the license fee
- Ability to quickly connect much needed healthcare professionals to underserved or rural patients who have a hard time accessing care experts
- Approximately 80% of physicians meet the criteria for licensure through the IMLC
How Floyd Lee Locums Helps
- Our credentialing department is experienced in IMLC and provides hands-on support to physicians applying
- Understanding the nuance and requirements speeds licensing times, and ensures everything moves smoothly
Wondering If You Qualify for the IMLC?
Review the eligibility and application requirements below.
What is Required to be Eligible for the IMLC?
- Full, unrestricted medical license in a Compact Member State
AND at least one of the below must apply:
- Primary residence is in the SPL (State of Principal Licensure)
- At least 25% of their practice of medicine occurs in the SPL
- Primary employer is located in the SPL
- Use the SPL as their state of residence for income tax
- Graduated from an accredited medical school
- Hold a current specialty certification or time-unlimited
certification by an ABMS or AOABOS board
- No history of disciplinary actions toward your medical license,
no criminal history and no history of controlled substance actions
toward your license
- Must not currently be under investigation
How Can I Apply?
Contact your Concierge Consultant at Floyd Lee Locums. Don’t have one yet? Simply call 843.900.4185 or email [email protected], and we’ll set you up with one.
Your Concierge Consultant will help you complete the application online. They will guide you through selecing an SLP (State of Principal License) and paying the $700.00 non-refundable fee.
The SPL will conduct a background check and request fingerprints (which must be completed within 60 days. Your Concierge Consultant can help you submit any supplemental materials.
Once approved, your Concierge Consultant can help you select the IMLC Member States you wish to be licensed for and submit additional license fees.
• If not approved, you will be notified by email and may contact the SPL to discuss why you were ineligible.
Once any additional fees are submitted, your new licenses will be issued within a few days to a week.
Ready to start enjoying the concierge experience?
Get the personalized locum tenens treatment when your partner with Floyed Lee Locums.